VfL Wolfsburg welcome Bundesliga leaders and record champions Bayern Munich to a sold-out Volkswagen Arena on Sunday 5 February (kick-off: 17:30 CET).
Despite last week's 2-1 defeat at Bremen, the Wolves have started 2023 brightly in terms of league action, while Bayern are still waiting for their first victory of the year after three draws. The Green-and-Whites will do everything they can to keep them winless, especially in light their strong home form.
Further facts and figures
- 2023 so far: Bayern may be unbeaten since the turn of the year, but the Wolves have nevertheless picked up twice as many points in the Bundesliga (six to three), despite the loss against Bremen. It is the first time in 16 years that Bayern have gone three league games without a victory at the start of a year.
- Off-colour Bayern attack: 15 Bundesliga teams have scored more goals than Bayern's three so far in 2023, including VfL, who have hit four times as many (12).
- Bayern's fluctuating form: Julian Nagelsmann's side have dropped points in almost every other league game this season on average, drawing seven and losing one of their 18 assignments so far. The last time that was the case at this stage of a season was under Louis van Gaal 12 years ago.
- Favourite opponents: Bayern have only lost four of the 51 Bundesliga meetings with Wolfsburg to date, winning 40. The record German champions are currently on a 15-game unbeaten streak against the Wolves in league competition.
- Home fortress: VfL have only lost once at home so far in 2022/23 – the 4-2 defeat to Köln – while they have earned 13 of a possible 15 points from the last five matches at the Volkswagen Arena. However, the next four are all tricky fixtures, with Leipzig, Frankfurt and Union Berlin all visiting after Bayern.
- Recipe for success? The Wolves' ability to cover lots of ground could be the key to a positive result against Bayern: Köln recently ran a league-high 129.8 kilometres as a team against the Bavarians, with Frankfurt running a club-record 124.2km. Both sides earned draws.