This Sunday, 18 September (kick-off at 15:30 CEST), sees VfL travel to face Union Berlin, who recently became the 34th different team to occupy first place in the Bundesliga. The Green-and-Whites enjoyed the view from the top of the league between Matchdays 2 and 4 of the 2021/22 season.
More facts and figures
- Looking back: The first two Bundesliga meetings between Union and Wolfsburg at the former’s Stadion An der Alten Försterei ended 2-2, and most recently the club from the capital came out on top 2-0. VfL are only without an away win against two current Bundesliga teams in the top flight – Bayern Munich (who they’ve have faced away from home 26 times) and Union (three times).
- Putting in a shift: Union are the Bundesliga team who have covered the most ground so far this season (averaging 117.3 kilometres per match). Wolfsburg, meanwhile, lead the league in intensive runs, with Urs Fischer’s men just behind them in second.
- Three’ll meet again: Three former Wolves players currently ply their trade for the league leaders, namely Robin Knoche, Paul Jaeckel and Paul Seguin.
- Ever-present: Maximilian Arnold is the only Wolfsburg player to have featured in all six Bundesliga contests against Union. He also notched up an assist in each of the three seasons that the teams met (2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22).
- Keep tabs on Becker: Sheraldo Becker is the current top scorer in the Bundesliga with five goals, as well as two assists. He has also found the back of the net in his two previous home matches against Wolfsburg.